[thelist] [Simple layout] I want to reach the standards

Gauthier@PlacidSound gauthier at placidsound.com
Sat Apr 27 14:50:00 CDT 2002

> On Saturday, April 27, 2002, at 07:50  pm, Ken Kogler wrote:
>
> > Since you're trying to reach the broadest base of people possible, you
> > may want to consider at least using *some* tables for your layout. If a
> > non-CSS browser visits your site, they get a whole lot of plain text,
> > and they have to go sorting through it to find the relevant information.
>
> Depends - does it really matter if the layout is exactly the same
> for all browsers? For some sites, it won't.

I prefer standard-compliant and the simplicity of the HTML code (I will
redirect the older browsers on a light page or web browser upgrade page)

The most important thing is to have the content part to fill the width that
remain on the right side of the menu without showing this horizontal
scrollbar, that in all the standard-compliant browsers

> If you separate your layout and presentational stylesheets, you
> can get reasonable results even in NN4 (although there are
> known probs with ie4.5/mac).
> [...]
> you'll see that the content makes sense in each case because
> the stylesheets are separated, and because the different content
> areas are in a sensible order in the HTML

That is the idea that I try to implement, I've check the way you use to get
a good result in ns4 (<style>@import for the new browsers + <link rel= for
the legacy and new browsers)
 but I just remark that the horizontal scroll bar appears in both mozilla
and ie6, and that what I want to avoid :(

does this thing due to the use of :

/*________________________*/
#content
{
width:100%;
margin: 10px;
}

does this issue is 'insurmontable' with the actual browsers?
does this width implementation is straight following the W3C recommandation?

Thanks for your reply
Thanks to Ken Kogler for his hint about table (maybe it's a better way to do
this??? can you point me offlist a list of 'slightly off topic' topics?)
Thanks to David Bindel for his inline example and glish reference (there is
a lot of things i can learn here :)

Gauthier