[thelist] Can JS Search a Site

Douglas Rehg drehg at fishcicle.com
Sat Apr 27 15:35:00 CDT 2002

Someone else correct me if I am wrong, but since JS is normally executed
on the client browser, not the server, you won't be able to search a
site for the given words.  You could use Js for the page you are on, but
I think that is about it.

The only way I could think to try it is to have the calling search page
open a new page that loads the script that will do the actual searching
in frame "a", and have it open the first page of the site in frame "b".
Then the script would go through and search for the string you want, and
use the links in the page to crawl through the site.

You would have to store the results in an array and pass it back to the
calling page, as well as store all of the links an an array to make sure
you crawled through them all.  That might work, but I think it would be
easier to set it up with php, cf, asp or jsp.

Doug.