[thelist] setting up freetds or odbc to connect to a ms sql server?

Ben Phillips ben at inchima.com
Sun Apr 28 12:05:02 CDT 2002

we are trying to connect to a remote ms sql server using php, and are
not sure which is the best way to go about it.

i understand from the following article:
http://phpbuilder.net/columns/alberto20000919.php3
that we can either use freetds or odbc to talk to the ms sql server. we
don't yet have root access to our server (but will do soon), so we are
looking for a method that doesn't require recompiling php. is there one?

the site has to go live tomorrow, so i'm sweating a bit here! the client
has dumped this on us at the last minute, but we don't want to lose them
so my boss said it would be no problem...

i'm no apache or linux expert, and i don't want to bugger our server up,
so does anybody have any tips that could help us get through this as
painlessly as possible?

thanks,
benji
inchima.com