[thelist] Can JS Search a Site

nets at searchtools.com nets at searchtools.com
Mon Apr 29 11:42:01 CDT 2002

I'm not quite sure if you're trying to index local files or a site or both.

There are several other options for doing local searching, including
Java applications and native programs like DTSearch.

You ask about JavaScript: there is a program called "SiteSearch
Indexer" that will run on windows, and generate an index file, then
use a JavaScript to search that index.    I have some info on it at
<http://www.searchtools.com/tools/sitesearch-js.html>, but haven't
had a chance to test it.

To search web sites without having access to the server, you can also
use remote search services.  They will crawl the site following links
and store the index on their servers.  When someone types a search
query into the form, it goes there instead of locally, their search
engines do the retrieval and format the results.  The results page
links to the original pages.  I have listings and reviews of them at
<http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-remote.html>.

Please take a look at searchtools.com or contact me directly if you
have any more questions.

Avi
SearchTools.com editor and Search Engine Implementation Consultant

--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
    <http://www.searchtools.com>