[thelist] Baseline version for Netscape 6

sasha sasha at bittersweet2.com
Tue Apr 30 08:38:03 CDT 2002

Why should a designer who wants to test on various
browsers (which may or may not all be 100% standards
compliant -- afterall, which browser is?) want the most
compliant version just because it is the most compliant?
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense if said designer
wants to make sure their design looks good on most
browsers.

If you've got the disk space, I see no reason why you
can't just install several different versions of NS 6.
It isn't like IE where you can only choose one.  I
personally have NS 6.0 (the amazing crashing browser)
because I only use it for checking web sites, not as my
default browser.  Pick a couple (maybe 6.0 & 6.2, or
whatever).  Maybe you don't have to pick at all if you
can get your co-workers to check your sites with
whatever browsers they have installed.

I personally would think 6.0 would be the baseline
version to go off of, since it is the earliest version
in the series.  Later versions would mostly be tweaks
and crash fixes.  But, if you know which one is the most
buggy, that should be the one you pick :-).

Christy "sasha" Siepker
http://www.bittersweet2.com

4/30/2002 12:37:13 AM, "Daniel J. Cody"
<djc at members.evolt.org> wrote:

>Clive -
>
>The prob with pre6.2 releases is that they were based
on very old
>versions(by todays standards) of mozilla. 6.1 for
example was based on
>moz 0.9.2 and 6.0 milestone18 of the mozilla browser..
>
>thousands of bugs that probably impact a great number
of things you'd
>want to test have been fixed in the meantime. i'd
recommend NS 6.2.2
>which is based on the 0.9.9(i think) release of
mozilla, which is a very
>good browser in the standards dept.
>
>hth! :)
>
>.djc.
>
>Clive R Sweeney wrote:
>> I've been using Netscape 6.21 for some time now and
depend on it to
>> fairly represent NN6 in my website testing. Today I
found that some of
>> my coworkers are testing with earlier versions of
NN6. It's my
>> understanding that the early versions are too buggy
to depend on, but
>> I'd like to hear other opinions on what would be the
best choice as a