[thelist] Downtime this morn..

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 30 08:48:05 CDT 2002

Hey folks -

As some of you may have noticed, all of the evolt.org sites where down
between about 7:45am - 9:15am CST this morn. Everything is back up now..

There was a power outage/brownout/flux/surge/something this morn here in
downtown Milwaukee which somehow tricked the power managment software on
all of our servers(except our oracle box oddly enough) into thinking
they should power down before power was lost all together for a clean
shutdown.. I'm still looking into why the UPS system sent that message
to them.

If that weren't bad enough, the power problem also fried the main router
here where evolt is hosted. Thankfully, we do have a backup router for
just such an emergency, but it did take about 45 minutes to put it in
place of the failed router.  About a half hour ago, everything was in
place and back up and running.
Any emails sent durning that time should be delivered, so no need to
resend them.. members.evolt.org accounts are also back up, as are the
rest of the evolt.org services.

Very sorry about any inconviences the problems may have caused! If
anyone has questions or anything, feel free to contact me as usual :)

And now, I think it's time I start shopping for a new UPS system..

.djc.