[thelist] Re: nulls, zeroes, spaces...

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Wed May 1 08:26:03 CDT 2002

> Hans Z.
> New York PHP
> http://nyphp.org
   WROTE
> This (as in this thread) is exactly why I don't use NULL in MySQL,
PHP,
> or any essentially typeless language/system.  In C, NULL is a
wonderful
> and coherent thing - in everything else it is an evil monster waiting
> to rip your head off and cause you a lot of pain.  Use simply 0, 1, or
> negatives if the situation fits.

Or, of course, I can stick with my nice, clean J and APL tools, which
know the difference between null (numeric), null (alphabetic), null,
and zero or space. Also whether they're flat or nested. They'll even
give me a pretty picture (boxed) of my variable if I ask. Sigh. No, I
won't! I won't learn even ONE MORE programming language! They're
baaaaddddd!

Cheers
Carol
disgruntled techwatcher