[thelist] MySQL to Excel Problem

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed May 1 10:46:01 CDT 2002

Howdy all!

Some of my users want Excel reports from MySQL databases, so I have done the
following with PHP;

<!--BEGIN CODE-->
<?
header("Content-Type:  application/x-excel");
header("Content-Disposition: inline;
filename=\"excel.xls\"");

header("Expires: 0");

header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0,
pre-check=0");

//connect to and select database
if(!($dbconnect = mysql_pconnect("127.0.0.1", "user", "password"))){
	print("Failed to connect to database!\n");
	exit();
	}
if(!mysql_select_db("rcr", $dbconnect)){
	print("Failed to select database!\n");
	exit();
	}
//query
$qrecord = "SELECT DISTINCT RecordID ";
$qrecord .= "FROM tblClass10 ";
?>

<?
while($dbrow = mysql_fetch_object($dbrecord)){
	print("<td>");
	print($dbrow->RecordID);
	print("</td>\n");
	}
?>
<!--END CODE-->

If I name the file with a .xls extension it displays the code in the excel
worksheet in the browser. If I name the file with the .php extension it
opens Excel seperately, gives me a file download option (I click 'Open') and
then asks me to tell it what created the file, so I pick Excel. Then the
data is displayed  properly in the Excel worksheet, outside of the browser.
I want the file to open an Excel worksheet in the browser (IE, on an
Intranet). Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

Jay