[thelist] Flash and a database

Aaron Johnson ajlist at mindseye.com
Wed May 1 10:51:01 CDT 2002

> That Flash can parse and format XML data is one of the many reasons
> someone might want to use Flash, ... but directly connecting a DB is
> not one of them.
>
> Generator can connect to an ODBC data source and produce a SWF that
> can ion turn be displayed with the Flash Player, but in most
> situations there's a better way to achieve the same thing.
I'd highly suggest you check out the new Flash Remoting features
(http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/flashremoting/), quickly, it
allows Flash developers to call API's in CF/.NET/EJB... and then
natively use recordsets from those middleware pieces.  You can even use
SOAP... this is huge!

FYI Generator, as far as I know, is no longer being produced... Flash
remoting is replacing it.

AJ