[thelist] Best/Good way to organize a website.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 22:18:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker at swatgear.com>
>
> > So how one do a page that has one template call that allows
> > for a header and
> > footer?  Or a side bar for that matter?
>
> i'm sorry, i meant to answer this earlier.
>
> as far as i understand it, it goes like this...

you understand correctly, assuming my approach works for y'all...

i musta missed this post, too, but i'll tell you how i do sidebars...

page_name.asp:
==========
<%
strTitle = "page title here"
strMetaDescription = "meta description here"
strMetaKeywords = "meta keywords here"
%>

<% SUB Content %>
Content
<% END SUB %>

<% SUB Sidebar %>
Content
<% END SUB %>
<!--#include file ="includes/template.asp"-->
==========

and template.asp calls the sidebar SUB like this (pseudo-html):
==========
<head>

<title><%= strTitle %></title>

</head>

<% Content %>

<% Sidebar %>

if you have no sidebar, just leave the SUB empty, and no sidebar will
draw (or it will be empty, more accurately)... very easy to re-
arrange layout, too, if you only put content in the SUBs...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself