[thelist] some questions on css: misuse and issues?

Christopher Joseph Christopher at ideadesigners.com
Mon May 6 07:59:01 CDT 2002

Hi David,

[snip]
If you plan to use an ampersand character in a hypertext reference you
should use the entity for it (&) rather then the raw character.

e.g. href="somepage.cgi?foo=bar&wib=ble"
[/snip]

I ran into this problem a few weeks back when validating. Unfortunately I am
using a modified version of http://www.mamboserver.com which outputs the
dynamically generated URLs in the non-compliant manner you describe. I
simply haven`t had time to go back and alter the scripts to output correctly
yet. Incidentally - I have begun making the code in mambo server
XHTML-transitional compliant and this will include the URL mods. Once I have
fixed all these issues I will make the new version available for download if
anyone wants a copy (miro distribute it as GPL).

[snip]
You then have a missing end tag for <span>, which could be the problem.
[/snip]

thanks.

[snip]
When validating the CSS I found your real problem. Unlike Internet
Explorer, Mozilla does a good job at following standards. Your server
is configured to send the .css files with a content/mime type of
"text/plain". As far as Mozilla is concerned that isn't a style
sheet. You need to reconfigure the server to send with a mime type of
text/css
[/snip]

Is this a case of approaching the my ISP for resolution?

chris.