[thelist] Automated site replication

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon May 6 10:36:01 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 04:27  pm, Hans Zaunere wrote:

>> However, I have a fun problem:
>> 1) The host doesn't have wget
>> 2) The host doesn't have a gcc compiler so I can't install
>>     wget
>
> Compile somewhere else and/or get a binary?

Can't find any binaries (I've looked). I don't have a freebsd system
to hand to compile one myself (I wonder how different it is from
Darwin...)

>> 3) Installing Perl modules with dependencies is fun and
>>     interesting, so w3mir isn't going to work
>> I *can* mirror all the end pages as static HTML (rather than
>> DTML source) onto my own (MacOSX) box, so thought of just
>> copying them up. However...
>> 4) The host doesn't have scp installed
>> 5) Nor does it have sftp
>> 6) I'm not too keen on connecting without encryption, particularly
>>      if it's on a (necessarily time-predictable) cron job
>
> Any possibility of restricting by IP?

I don't control the ftp server, so probably not.

>> 7) They've not answered my pleas on any of the above (but then
>>     again, I'm not paying for any of it...)
>>
>> Any ideas..?
>
> Write a little program in C, compile somewhere, copy it over?

Dependencies: learn C, spend quite some time working out how to duplicate
wget, find somewhere to compile it.

> Or, better yet, get a PHP binary (single file, ie CGI version) and copy
> it to your home directory.  Then write a local PHP script and using
> PHP's URL wrappers you'll be done in 10 minutes.

Dependencies: learn PHP, spend some time working out how to duplicate
functionality, get the CGI version of PHP working.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,