[thelist] some questions on css: misuse and issues?

David Dorward david at david.us-lot.org
Mon May 6 10:52:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 12:28:43AM +1000, Karen J. Bowen wrote:
> David Dorward wrote:
> >When validating the CSS I found your real problem. Unlike Internet
> >Explorer, Mozilla does a good job at following standards. Your server
> >is configured to send the .css files with a content/mime type of
> >"text/plain". As far as Mozilla is concerned that isn't a style
> >sheet. You need to reconfigure the server to send with a mime type of
> >text/css
>
> Wow.  It's true - I stuck the stylesheet straight into the html, et
> viola!  The page in all its technicolour glory.  :-)
>
> So, yep, Christopher, if you're on a host server, get 'em to change the
> mime type as David says above.
>
> David - how did you know that about the server config??

Usually I would download the file with wget (http://wget.sunsite.dk -
best downloader in the world, available for *nix & Windows) but in
this case the CSS validator at http://w3.org/ complained about it (And
I knew about the problem due to excessive amounts of time spent in
nntp://comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets).

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.