[thelist] Font Sizing

john-paul jwalton at four09.org
Mon May 6 13:22:01 CDT 2002

>> The problem I have found with variable font sizes is that you lose control
>> over how the site displays. Plus, every browser seems to interpret the
>> variable font sizes differently.

This is very true. Variable/Relative fonts units (em) are hard to deal with
from a design standpoint. But as it has been mentioned, absolute (px) have
their problems as well.

One possible solution, might be to design with px, but to create a few
different stylesheets, (small, medium, large). Have an area where the users
can set preferences for size and use cookies/php/whatever to link to the
correct stylesheet based on the user settings....

people already do similar stuff with color all the time....

That way, you as the designer has control over what the different settings
look like, but you are still providing users the ability to enlarge text,
etc.

:: john-paul
:: music :: http://www.mmodule.com
:: collective :: http://www.four09.org