[thelist] Opera vs. IE6 displaying links and HR

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Mon May 6 16:39:01 CDT 2002

At 01:54 PM 5/6/2002, you typed:

>Puzzlifying. http://egbdf.info
>
>In Opera 6, the horizontal rules sit on the left margin and behave
>themselves, but every link imediately following a <p> is some goofy small
>grey font.
>
>In IE6, the links are as expected, but the horizontal rules float out to the
>center of the page.
>
>Can anyone eddicate me?

If you want the HR to left align, try replacing the
position: relative;
left: 0px

with
align:left;

from this:

hr {
width: 567px;
position: relative;
left: 0px
}

to this:

hr {
width: 567px;
align:left;
}

Also, only SOME browsers will recognize the max-width designation, which is
another reason why everything aligns left in Opera 6 and stays at your
maximum width while IE6 doesn't..... which is also another reason why the
HR is currently floating in IE6. Changing to the above ought to at least
make that HR left align for you.

Regarding the goofy grey font you mention, I don't see it in Opera 6 or
IE6. I don't know what all your color codes are, so I don't know which
might be a grey one. Something's probably cascading over to the link,
though, if that's happening. You can try moving your a: tags above most of
the other ones and see if that takes care of the problem.

Separate from the above stuff (and I know you're working on all this and
maybe just haven't gotten to it yet), try either adding a color to this, or
remove the color element:

pre {
font-family: serif;
color: #
}

Oh, one more thing:
While it's legitimate to name a color without also naming a background
color, running it through the W3C validator will give you a warning (not an
error -- a warning) that you didn't provide a background color. So you
might consider adding background colors. You can usually add this:
background:transparent;

but watch out for NN4 browsers, as they may instead decide to turn anything
with that designation to a black background. Oh, the joys of cross-browser
garbage, especially with NN4.

I typically go for as much of the background:transparent as possible, check
it in NN4 and then change what I must to an actual color.  Or you can just
put those in your import.css style sheet, too.

HTH, Joel!

Warmly,
Shirley

Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.,  SKDesigns  mailto:skaiser1 at skdesigns.com