[thelist] solution for large form data thingy

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Tue May 7 16:39:02 CDT 2002

Actually, it's pretty easy, assuming you have a programmatic interface to
your mailer that supports attachments. "Save" the form data to a temporary
CSV file, then attach that in an e-mail to your client and send it along.

Most Windows machines have CSV associated with Excel, so it'll open as a
spreadsheet when your client clicks on it.

The trouble with CSV is that you are sending things on a record-by-record
basis. Your client, if he wanted to make a list of submissions, would have
to manually combine the CSV's.

ORRR ...

You could append submissions to a CSV file stored on the server (CSV is
trivially easy to append to), and give your client a URL to that file so he
could get an up-to-the-second spreadsheet containing all current submissions
any time he wanted, without a database involved.

(The risk there is that you need to figure out a way to make the spreadsheet
only accessible by your client.)

HTH,
Jonathan.