[thelist] Ethical issues concerning re-use (and heavy modification) of images

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Wed May 8 23:17:01 CDT 2002

<cite>
> Wow - I have thought about this also.  What about finding an image (say, a
> map or a common object) via good old google, and then tracing the outline by
> hand using a pencil/pen tool? Once I've got my outline, I modify it, color
> it etc.  Does this mean I'm in breach of someone's copyright?
</cite>

check out RedConcepts.NET logo at http://www.redconcepts.net

Maybe we can sue anybody who uses a circle, globe or fragment thereof
post 2002.

Really though, I wouldn't worry about it. Using an image as a basis and
moving on from there to create a wholly new image that is greatly
different than the original seems to me to come under fair use.

But I am not a lawyer.

Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - Open Source, Public Service
http://www.redconcepts.net