[thelist] Ethical issues concerning re-use (and heavy modification) of images

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Thu May 9 07:10:01 CDT 2002

Galen wrote:
<quote>
As far as legalicy, it would seem to me to be quite legal in the United
States and probably in the rest of the world as well. People take something,
change/modify it, call it their own and sell it all the time here, I do not
see why the internet laws would be any different but I am not a lawyer.
</quote>

What do people change and sell as their own? If person A creates something,
they normally own the copyright, if person b changes it, person a still owns
the copyright because copyright covers derivative use.

In music if you use a sample, no matter how heavily edit it, you need to ask
permission from the original copyright holder to publish it and normally you
have to pay them something. Similarly with art/photography, if you use
someone else's work, you pay them.

kind regards,
Liam