Java & JavaScript (was RE: [thelist] My fingers are getting sore :) -- addemendum)

Max Wyss max at prodok.com
Thu May 9 09:37:10 CDT 2002

The article about Brendan Eich is quite a bit more advanced, however
there (and even more so in the Danny Goodman reference), one of the
even more interesting aspects of JavaScript is forgotten:

There are much more interesting applications of ECMAScript (or
JavaScript) out there than just in the web browsers. Actually, I know
of five distinct applications of JavaScript:

* Web browser, client-side

* Server-side

* OSA (Open Scripting Architecture; best-known example is AppleScript)

* ActionScript in Flash (according to ECMA-262)

* Acrobat JavaScript (according to ECMA-262 Rev. 3 (in Acrobat 5))

And that's a much wider use than just do simple rollovers...

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax:  +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail:  mailto:max at prodok.com
http://www.prodok.com