[thelist] Advice on Getting That First Client

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Fri May 10 09:46:00 CDT 2002

[snip]
The problem that I've found though, is that no one in my immediate area
seems
to need a website right now.  I was wondering; what have you professionals
done in the past when you were starting out to attract clients.  I figure
that
once I get started, I should be able to get referrals and a reputation, but
what's the key to attracting that first client?  If you could point me to
any
tips or links, that would be great.
[/snip]

Jackson,

Have some inexpensive business cards made up (or make them yourself with
pre-perfed cards in your desk-jet) and set up a web site for yourself with a
portfolio (if you have one). Then go to business meetings and gatherings of
all types, shaking hands and handing out your business cards. Find public
events where handing out your card is acceptable. Go to offices and leave
your card with secretaries, who, if your are nice enough to, will pass the
card along to appropriate people.

Starting and building a business takes a lot of footwork and some money. It
has often been said that "getting the customer is 75% of the work". In an
eight hour day that translates to six hours of marketing, and two hours of
work. Amazing, isn't it?

Good luck!

Jay