[thelist] PNG support from which browsers? [was Simple question? Maybe? HTML Help basically...]

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Mon May 13 19:01:01 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 13, 2002 7:38 AM, Aardvark penned to Eating Cheerios question:

>>[...]I don't want the page, when loaded, to fade from one color to
> > the next, I can do that, I want it to be a background that is faded.
>> [...]

> you're pretty much stuck with an image...  now, you can use an
> image with the gradient built in (or a .png with alpha transparency,
> but support is minimal), and CSS to control how it tiles, but
> straight HTML can't do it... [...]

Hi, Aardvark!

Have any idea which specific browsers now support PNG's (either w/alpha trans or without)?

I haven't created them in PhotoShop yet (altho I'd love to), having heard a long time ago that browers by and large were not yet ready to support them. So, now, do you have any idea which ones do?

I still don't think I'd chance it because of backward compatibility issues (except maybe on an intranet).

Best,
Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com