[thelist] Dw MX concensus

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Tue May 14 07:19:00 CDT 2002

> <tip type="ColdFusion" author=".jeff">
>
> written alot of udf's for cf5 but frustrated that you can't
> perform any
> actions that require calling a cftag like a query or reading
> a directory?
> well, cf6 allows you to write functions using tags now.
> theoretically you
> could write a function for every cf tag and no longer have to
> use any tag
> based coldfusion (except for <cfscript> blocks) in your cf coding.
>
> once again, get a bunch of cf6 tag-based functions at
>http://cflib.org/.

Just one small comment. The tag-based UDFs at cflib.org work fine in the
release candidate, but use hacks to get around the lack of a var scope
in that version. The final version of CFMX will have a "proper" way of
doing var scoping in tag-based UDFs. So, if you have downloaded these
UDFs, I highly recommend you upgrade when CFMX is finally released.

For those who are interested, this is how you will do var scope in
tag-based UDFs:

<cffunction name="buySWTickets" ......>
	<cfargument .....>

	<cfset var x = 1>
	<cfset var y = 1>
	<cfset var result = structNew()>

	.... udf logic ....
</cffunction>

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Macromedia

Email    : jedimaster at macromedia.com
Yahoo IM : morpheus