[thelist] Force file download from browser?

Shoshannah Forbes xslf at xslf.com
Wed May 15 11:17:00 CDT 2002

> Sometimes, whether the OP is willing to believe it or not, we (the
> users) *like* to be able to control, for *ourselves*, how our browsers
> behave.  Forcing "Save As", preventing "Save As", whatever.  It's our
> choice whether we save something permanently to disk or simply view it
> in our browsers and, frankly, none of the web designer's damn business.

Very true. However, PDF has an additional issue: Users with Acrobat reader
can fill out and send PDF forms only when viewing the PDF inside a browser.
It is quite frustrating filling out a long form in Acrobat reader, hitting
"submit" only to get "you must be running inside a browser in order to send
form", and then go and re-enter all the information again from the browser.

True, this is more of an Acrobat issue then a browser one, but it is
annoying nonetheless.

--
http://www.tellinglies.org/news | http://www.xslf.com