[thelist] RE: [mj] Printing web pages with headers and footers

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri May 17 09:07:01 CDT 2002

> What I'm looking for is a way of printing a Web page, however
> long it happens to be, with an automatically added header and
> footer on each printed page where the header and footer do
> not appear anywhere on the Web page when viewed on-screen.
> Kind of like printing a Word document.  Is this even possible?

With server side includes, maybe. You'll need separate versions for screen
and print, though, so Eric Meyer's article doesn't apply.

I don't know if it's possible to have it automatically paginate, putting the
header and footer in on the fly. I've only been successful doing this with
tabular data where I could tell it 'write header; write 40 lines; write
footer; repeat'

Interesting challenge, though. I'm still thinking about it.

joel