[thelist] I'm gonna switch! I mean it this time!

Daniel Fascia danfascia at totalise.co.uk
Sat May 18 09:29:00 CDT 2002

My flatmate develops on a mac and I use a pc so Ive seen a pretty good running drama of the differences and troubles.

1) He has to base his peripheral purchases entirely on what is available with appropriate mac drivers, which seriously limits choice

2) His websites have colour problems (though Im sure that could be tweaked if he could be bothered)

3) The choice of software simply isnt available. Sure like everybody says, Adobe M$ and Macromedia have identical clones on both platforms but wht about
shareware???  There is no doubt that the range of programs is simply not available. I personally very much like HTMLKit and that is not available... just as one
example.

I often download little shareware apps that my flatmate thinks are really cool and goes to look for them but they simply dont exist. I think that apps are more up to date
on the PC, the newest and coolest apps all appear on the PC side of things then someone in the mac world makes a port.

I will not shift to mac for the reasons of wide choice but hey each to their own and the gap between them is becoming much smaller....

- Dan

Oh and Macs are much more stylish.... though my vaio is cute too