[thelist] ASP Questions

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sun May 19 12:35:00 CDT 2002

Hi Folks ..

I've a couple questions .. maybe someone will know what the following means
.. and what the importance is of them.

response.buffer="TRUE"
response.cachecontrol="PRIVATE"
response.expires="300"
response.expiresabsolute=DATE+1

The above four items .. I'm not at all sure what they are doing.  More than
likely they are contributing to the caching issues I've noticed on my new
blog site .. that really annoy me.  Sometimes the response.expires is set to
60.  Anyone have a good all-encompassing site that one can type in the
"control/element" they are looking for and get a definition and various
parameters?

Second question ....

query_commenttext=request.form("commenttextarea")
query_name=request.form("name")
query_email=request.form("email")
**query_blurbid=session("commentblurbid")
query_IP=request.servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

Most of the above I understand .. just calling in the variables from a form
process.  However, I don't understand the one I've starred (**).  What's
with the session?  I'm having problems with my comments being posted under
the incorrect items .. and I'm guessing this is what might be feeding the
incorrect information.  Why use "session" when the items are being passed in
the querystring?

i.e. yadda.asp?commentblurbid=298

Or just pass it hidden and request.form to get the variable in question?
I'm not at all sure why to use "session" and what might else break should I
change it to querystring or hidden.

TIA,

Michele