[thelist] style sheet mime type

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Mon May 20 06:21:01 CDT 2002

At 23:56 19/05/02 -0400, you wrote:
>when a mozilla based browser reads a page with a strict dtd, it will ignore
>stle sheet files that aren't delivered with a mime type of text/css
>
>http://developer.netscape.com/evangelism/docs/technotes/incorrect-mime-type
>s/
>
>when i discovered this a few months ago on my site, i remember running my
>page through a service and discovering that my host was sending out css
>files with application/xml (duh)
>
>i thought it was delorie.com's http viewer, but now i'm not sure, because i
>don't see the mime type for my style sheets
>
>   http://rudy.ca/darkgreen.css
>   http://rudy.ca/import.css
>
>i see content-type, but that's not the same thing, right?
>
>does anyone know a service that shows the mime type?

I use a tool on Mozilla.org :

http://webtools.mozilla.org/web-sniffer/

You can give it a URL and it will show you the source of the page,
including the full page headers - very handy for debugging content types
and seeing what web server a site runs. You can specify the URL to check in
the query string (handy for bookmarklets and Mozilla shortcuts):

http://webtools.mozilla.org/web-sniffer/view.cgi?url=http://www.mozilla.org

HTH,

Simon