[thelist] Switching to Mac

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Mon May 20 10:06:01 CDT 2002

I missed this:

> Also, should you
> go and REALLY get a Mac (iMac, PowerPC, etc), MkLinux can run on that
> machine, making a cross compatibility unparalleled  from any standpoint.

Ummm, I wouldn't recommend using MkLinux on anything as new as an iMac (any
flavor). IIRC there's still a lot of bugs in the USB support, among other
things. The purpose of Mklinux (I've been in the MkLinux community for
several years now, and we're going to have an actual release version, as
opposed to a "pre-release" version Real Soon Now) is to bring Linux to the
nu-bus Macs. Anything newer than that has some problems with device
support. The release of the IOKits for Darwin was supposed to help that
along, but not much has been done yet.

Also MkLinux is a great distance behind in Linux Kernels, so anything
intended to be compiled on a recent (within the last 18 months) Linux
release may not compile.

The monolithic Linuces (SuSe, PPCLinux, YDL, etc.) are more up to date, but
they don't support the nubus macs.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224