[thelist] Webmail app without local system accounts

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon May 20 10:52:01 CDT 2002

John Handelaar wrote:

/* answering my own under-caffeinated response ... */

> > Specifically, no, but this sounds like a job for LDAP -- keeping
> > voluminous user information out of /etc/passwd ...
>
> Yeah, but that covers only authentication, not the
> provision of mail service.

Ah, yeah, of course, but my (un-stated!) point was that mail servers
that support LDAP wouldn't require a local account for the user, and
would thus meet your original requirements. And that might help jog
someone's memory, or make the search easier, or ... OK, yes, now I'll
shut up and go get another cup of coffee ...  :-)

--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --