[thelist] Webmail app without local system accounts

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon May 20 11:02:01 CDT 2002

Hans Zaunere wrote:
> A long time ago, and in a galaxy far, far away, I setup
> squirrelmail/qmail and used http://inter7.com/freesoftware/index.html
> for virtual users/domains.  This can also be done with sendmail's
> virtual user support.  It's been so long, sorry I can't give more
> detail.

I use qmail and vpopmail/sqwebmail to do virtual user/domains.  I works
quite well.  Inter7.com is a good place to start looking (as well as
qmail.org)  I can also recommend Inter7 for any migration/implementation
issues you have as well.  I'm used them before for installs and I'm
about to hire them again for a migration that I don't have time to do
myself.

Vpopmail runs under a single "real" user account and keeps track of all
the virtual domains under its username.  You can use db or file system
authentication and you can also build in nifty features like roaming
user profiles that allow temporary SMTP relay access after a POP
authentication.

SqWebMail is an ok web-based mail client.  It's not very pretty, but it
does run.

Hope this helps,
Judah