[thelist] Content Publishing Systems Squash News Design

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Mon May 20 11:48:01 CDT 2002

[snip]
I've been writing a CMS for a several months now and we just recently
started to sell it commercially.  I put in content, layout, and design
tools.  Why?  ... they want to be able to produce and manage a website.  And
that involves more than just content management.
Perhaps you're right to call it Publishing Management instead Content
Management, but I think its a semantic argument that most consumers don't
want to get into.
[/snip]

Maybe it should be called Web Site Management, integrating Content
Management tools with Publishing Management tools. :) While many consumers
do not want to make the distinction, there are some that will. They are the
consumers who will use a CMS to hold/manage content for print, web,
wireless, presentations, etc.

[snip]
So we make comprimises and the designers bitch and the devlopers bitch and
the writers...well you get
the idea.
[/snip]

Having "uploadable" templates is a cool and scalable feature which further
reinforces my point that CMS has nothing to do with making web sites bland,
people do. Everyone will still bitch though, I'm sure!

Thanks!

Jay

"Give a man a program, frustrate him for a day. Teach a man to program,
frustrate him for a lifetime."