[thelist] Switching to Macs

the head lemur headlemur at clearskymail.com
Mon May 20 11:57:00 CDT 2002

> Oddly enough, not many (any?) people have attempted to persuade me or
anyone
> else to stick with Windows(!).

As a developer what you design/develop in is a non issue. There are pros and
cons to every platform/OS setup.

I really wanted to spend my life in my bathrobe coding websites and watching
the money roll in. That went right the window in about 3 months.

One of the first things you learn in this business is your clients do not
build websites for a living. They do other stuff with computers. The web is
just another icon on their screens. I have been doing websites for 5 years
and I have yet to have a client on the Mac platform, running their business.
But that is just me in my market segment.

The primary  reason to stick with windows is for your clients, and all the
ugly nasty business that such a decision entails. It is an ugly business and
will consume an inordinate amount of time. Sheer numbers point out that
windows has more of the desktops than any other OS. From hardware to
software to pixels on the screen, you are the computer god to most small
business owners.

You have sold them on a website to expand their marketing opportunities.

To do this you have demonstrated the power and reach a website can give
them. At this point you have gone from being a developer/designer to
computer consultant.

Ask yourself how many times have you showed your client how to change their
resolution, screen size, use the defrag utility, how to reply to sender, cut
and paste, attach files, and suggest hardware, software changes?
You are on your way to being a marketing consultant.
Having gotten their website up, and taught them that they need to respond to
these pre-qualified sales leads, the assumption that somebody else will
handle their in house computer problems, crashes, viruses, connectivity, is
not in my experience based in reality. You will be the one they call.

There is certainly no case to be made for windows as an OS over Mac, Linux,
or Unix other than what your clients are using.

the head lemur
News: http://www.lemurzone.com/news/
Interviews: http://www.lemurzone.com/pixelview/
Standards: http://webstandards.org