[thelist] Z-Index / Divs over Divs

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon May 20 15:10:01 CDT 2002

Howdy!

I'm playing with some dHTML Menus, ya know the standard rollover &  show
menu; roll off and hide menus schtuff.

Everything is working hunky-dory with the exception of two "quirks". Here's
a brief outline of the setup:

	A Div wrapping an image for each "main menu".
	A Div wrapping a small table for each drop down menu.
	The Divs have the MouseOver and MouseOut events on them,
	  versus the hrefs.
	The Main Menu is setup to rollover when selected, as well as
	  be "selected" while the mouse is over the drop down menu.

Mozilla .9+/Netscape 6+

	The main menu rollover "flickers" while the mouse is moved
	over the associated dropdown menu. I.E. does not flicker.

I.E. 5+ on the Mac:

	We have two rows of main menus. They are close enough that the
	drop downs for the top row "overlap" the second row of main menus.
	With Mac IE, while moving the mouse down a selected drop down menu
	if "hit" a covered main menu, the MouseOver event fires for the
	covered menu. This does not happen on any other browser or platform.

	I've tried setting the z-Index of the dropdowns to "0", but the
	MouseOver event for the covered menus still fires.

I don't have any code to post at the moment (all internal development) but
was hoping that someone might have seen this behaviour before.

P.S. We are only interested in DOM2 compliant solutions, we have a solution
in place for non DOM2 compliant browsers.
--
Anthony Baratta
President