[thelist] CMS: dynamic pages and search engines/spiders

Martin Kuplens-Ewart martin at takingitglobal.org
Mon May 20 18:39:00 CDT 2002

// experts pls check: ForceType declaration for asp parsing //

Google seems to do a brilliant job of this, actually.

It indexes querystrung pages on my org's site wonderfully. Dunno the
mechanism tho.. Guess it's all just link-following

In any case, if you're worried about it not working, you could use the
magic of .htaccess files work for you [as long as you're on a *nix
system]

Rename your file kb [no extension]
And drop a .htaccess file with the following content in its directory:

	<Files kb>
	ForceType application/x-httpd-asp [I'm guessing that's what it'd
be... Hehe... Judging by the php version [see below]
	</Files>

All you have left is to have you script explode the current url [which'd
end up as http://www.myAwesomeWebsiteForYou.com/kb/2746], and grab the
content after the last '/'... Voila... Your kbid.

Happy for all search engines that don't like querystrings, and also a
touch friendlier for users trying to memorise urls.. After all... Who
can memorise querystrung var names?

Same goes for a php file, too... 'cept it's x-httpd-php
And if you wanted the file to act as your index file for the dir.. Add
the following lines fater the <Files></Files> statement:

RewriteEngine	on
RewriteRule   ^index\.html$   kb   [L]
DirectoryIndex kb

Hth,