[thelist] Site review please -- efeingold.com

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Tue May 21 09:26:01 CDT 2002

A frank review, eh? You got it...

Frank says your site looks neat in IE, but in Mozilla (RC1) the layout is
broken; the containers for your header, menu, and content are all of
different widths and align unevenly. On some pages (the online contact form,
for instance), there are HTML tags showing because they weren't properly
formed. Frank strongly recommends downloading Mozilla and looking at your
site.

Frank thought there wasn't enough contrast between your background and the
copyright notice. (Frank is RG color-blind, but so are over 3 million other
Americans.)

Frank wanted to change the font size because Frank is nearsighted, but Frank
found that the only text that changed sizes when he turned up the text size
was the bullets in the bulleted lists. Frank likes big bullets well enough,
but they're no substitute for big text.

Frank likes the fact that your Web site says what it needs to and stops. He
thinks that asking if a website needs something else is like handing someone
an engine and asking them if it needs more horsepower. Maybe it does and
maybe it doesn't; it depends on the purpose and goals of the site. Are
pictures relevant to your website's goal? What content might you add to help
it achieve its goal?

Frank thought your resumé shouldn't keep going in circles. It's a clever way
to let users continue through the resumé regardless of which page they enter
it through, but it's confusing when you keep clicking "continue to .." and
realize you've been going in circles.

Frank wonders why your Contact page has a level of hierarchy displayed
("Home :: Contact :: Contact Josh") that the other top-level pages don't
("Home :: Resume").

Frank thinks your site is pretty clean, overall, and compliments you on your
simple and effective usage of HTML/CSS.

--
Jonathan McPherson, LMIT/SD&I
Software Engineer