[thelist] [OT] HTTP POST request in VC++

David Bindel dbindel at austin.rr.com
Wed May 22 18:55:08 CDT 2002

I am codeveloping a should-be-simple weblog administration program in Visual
C++.

I need some help figuring out how to send HTTP POST requests through Visual
C++ without using any Win32-specific code (I need it to be
platform-portable.)

Here is the way my program should work (if I only knew how to POST data!):

1) The user enters the weblog entry and clicks the "Upload" button

2) The program sends the entry data via HTTP POST to a PHP file on the web
server

3) The PHP file adds the entry to the database and then echoes "UPLOADED" or
"ERROR", based on the validity of the entry data.

4) The program reads the contents of what the PHP file returned (i.e.
"UPLOADED" or "ERROR") and informs the user if the upload was successful or
not.

If anyone could please give me some advice on HTTP POSTing in Visual C++ it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
David Bindel

And here's my tip:

<tip type="1st Page 2000" author="David Bindel">
Try 1st Page 2000... it's a lot like Dreamweaver except for the awesome fact
that it's FREE.  Check it out at www.evrsoft.com

And while you're at it, e-mail the developers and ask them to hurry up and
release version 3.  They're supposed to be showing their progress on 1st
Page 3 on their front page, but their website hasn't been updated in at
least half a year :-(
I'm starting to wonder if they've stopped developing at all, but their
website is still THERE at least.
</tip>