[thelist] CMS

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Thu May 23 07:32:00 CDT 2002

[snip]
The system allows for users to have multiple roles, with each role having a
different set of abilities.  I have an author role, who is able to create
new articles and edit their existing ones.  Editors, who can edit and delete
any existing article, and can approve articles for release.  They can also
add/edit/delete categories, as well as triggering rebuilds of altered/new
articles.  The third role is admins, who have the ability to add/edit/delete
users/authors/editors.  As I said users can have multiple roles, so a
author/editor can create an article, approve it and publish it to the site.
When a article is created it isn't authorised by anyone, so it won't appear
on the site.  Once it's authorised the altered field will be set to true, so
that when the site is next rebuilt the article will be published.
I'm not handling multimedia assets at the moment.  My intention is to simply
store information about each asset in the database (dimensions, alt tags for
images etc) and then allow users to embed XML tags in article to place the
assets, allowing them to change some properties of them (ie changing alt
tags, default captions, that sort of thing).
[/snip]

Depending on the knowledge level of your 'user' this does seem sensible. And
given that some sort of editing takes place before the article is released,
any mistakes in the XML tags properties should be caught and fixed. Even for
savvy users make sure that some sort of help system or online manual is
included in case a user forgets 'just exactly how that thing is done'.

Jay