[thelist] Web Based HTML Editors

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Thu May 23 13:01:00 CDT 2002

Rob Wilson wrote:
> Nagrom,
>

>>i sure wish it supported CSS (maybe the new one does)
>

> The pro version claims to ... since we're having a play with the free
> version before we shell out $300 I obviously can't substantiate that ;)

I've got the pro version that I use in my CMS product.  The first
version was OK.  Not great, had some irritating quirks (like not being
able to unlink and link and wrapping font tags within font tags), but
version 2.1 (current version) is really nice.  Each user in my CMS
system has their own site with their own CSS file and I use their CSS
file as the base css attribute for the soeditor.  That way the
background color, font face, font size and color, etc is all correct.
It works like a charm.  The image upload feature takes too many clicks
to actually do something, in my opinion, but it's functional.  The
author has been very good about incorporating user feedback into
revisions of the product so I'm pretty happy.  The only real knock I
have against it is that it's Win/IE 5+ specific.  But there isn't
anything out there with comparable features/price range that doesn't
also have those limitations.

I'm looking forward to the next release of ActiveEdit.  Peter says that
it will have more broad-based support.  I'm assuming that they are doing
it in Java since they have started adding java-based cfx tags to their
download area.  I can't wait to check it out.

Judah