[thelist] IIS file/directory access

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu May 23 22:06:00 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Morris" <joelm at citycent.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 10:59 PM

> I have a client that needs to be able to deliver .doc and .pdf files
> to users, but only after they have registered.
>
> The concern  is that once one user knows the link to the document -
> like "http://www.somedomain.com/files/thefile.pdf", then they could
> give that link out to anybody.
>
> I've done plenty of "password protected" pages with ASP, but since
> these are not .asp pages that solution doesn't work.

Joel,

You can use an ASP page as a proxy for the data.  The asp page, once it has
decided that the user is valid, can return the content of the pdf file as
it's content.  Look at setting the content type of the response and the
Response.BinaryWrite method.  I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish
this as well, but this is one approach.

-joshua