[thelist] IIS/URLs: IIS Directory Querystring

Aaron Johnson ajlist at mindseye.com
Fri May 24 13:49:01 CDT 2002

> <tip type="IIS: Handling custom 404s">
> * In IIS, open the website properties, go to Custom Errors. Open the listing
> for 404, and make it a URL - not file - and put the relative path to the 404
> handler page, say, "/404.asp" (without qoutes). Then apply and exit. All
> 404s will go to that page, and you can parse the Querystring, I think, for
> the referred page (not sure if HTTP_REFERER will work) and perform any ASP
> functions you'd like.
> </tip>
-- Course, it looks fugly when you do this... using your tip, if I try
to access a page, say /aaron.asp, which doesn't exist, IIS will then
redirect to

/404.asp?404;http://myserver/aaron.asp

Fugly.

And what do you do then? Use the 404 to redirect to another page? so
you'd end up with a connection workflow like this:

user connects to http://myserver/aaron.asp

IIS redirects user to using a 302 header http://myserver/404.asp

user connects to http://myserver/404.asp

404.asp redirects to your custom page...

Thats a lot of work on the server, more connections for the client, and
pretty inefficient.  Definitely technically possible, but is it a viable
solution?  IMHO, I don't think so.

AJ