[thelist] IE 6, NN 6, CSS

Beau Hartshorne beau at members.evolt.org
Fri May 24 16:37:01 CDT 2002

OK. I'm working on this page:

http://www.cubeinc.ca/clients/cerins/index.php

I'm still using tables for layout, but using CSS for type work. On this
particular page, I'd like the top of the type to line up with the top of
the image. It's close enough in IE 6, but it's a few pixels off in NN 6.
I was able to fix this by applying a margin-top:0; style to the first
paragraph.

There must be a better way...

A related issue (that I'm discussing in css-d) is the space before first
paragraph after an <h2>. On this page:

http://www.cubeinc.ca/clients/cerins/artist-bio.php

I don't want the extra space between Awards and Text. Someone from css-d
suggested two things:

h2 {
	margin-bottom: -20px;
}

/* or */

h2 + p {
	margin: 0px;
}

The first fixes the <h2>..</h2><p>..</p> problem in NN and in IE. BUT,
in IE, if I do something like <h2></h2><table></table> the table will
run into the <h2>. NN does not have this problem.

The second fixes the <h2>..</h2><p>..</p> problem in NN only. IE doesn't
even seem to recognize it.

Thanks,

Beau