[thelist] Cross-Browser CSS Layout

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Sat May 25 08:16:00 CDT 2002

Rachel Cunliffe wrote:
> I've fixed the content so it works on Netscape, just having a bit of trouble
> positioning the copyright now :]
> What do other people do to accomodate earlier browsers if you go for a
> table-less site - like I have here?

When I'm feeling lazy, I call the stylesheet like so:
   @import "foo.css";

IE4 and NN4 (two browsers I'm worried about) won't see anything -
they'll be as safe as Dillo.

When I'm feeling like actually *doing* something, I create two
stylesheets - one that contains anything Netscape Navigator 4.x won't
choke on, and one containing everything else.  The "safe" stylesheet is
called with: <link rel="stylesheet" href="bar.css" type="text/css">, and
the "unsafe" stylesheet is imported, as above.

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/