[thelist] markup - which element?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat May 25 08:47:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Lachlan Cannon" <luminosity at members.evolt.org>
>
> What HTMl element is the one most correctly used to mark-up the names
> of books, movies, games, etc? I have seen cite suggested for this
> before, but my local copy of the html spec seems to suggest it's use
> in relation with quoting a source.
[...]
> So is it still the best element to use to mark-up a reference to
> whatever you're talking about?

your inclusion of the spec was handy, saved me a moment to look up
the example, which doesn't offer much help, does it?

i tend to use <cite>, regardless...

so if i reference a book, i might do it like this:

you must now go buy <cite title="ISBN: 1904151035">Usability: The
Site Speaks for Itself</cite>, because if you don't, i might cry...

in my head, that justifies its use because i'm citing a book and
including its ISBN along with it...

is this right?  i dunno, but it seems to flow logically for me, and
i've not had it challenged as of late...

now would be a good time to test that, though...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself