[thelist] IE4 css bug (repost due to lost mail)

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue May 28 03:53:01 CDT 2002

>  To recap the problem; In IE4 the links in the left hand nav menu jump
>when
>  moused over yet the links in the right hand menu don't. Those in the
>right
>  hand menu are all <li> but I'm not sure why this should make a
>difference.
>  This behaviour is not showing in IE5Mac, IE5.5, IE6, Opera6 or NS6.2.
>
>  http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/services/education/plan/index.htm
>

>  The css is located at
>  http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/services/education/plan/style/sop.css

Problem confirmed. It only occurs on links that initially fit on one line,
though. If the unhovered link is on two lines, it works fine.

I'm not sure why this happens, but I'd try to remove the padding-left: 10px
from the .subsection style. Padding only works on block level elements and
in IE4 it's impossible to make a link a block-level element (try display:
block; it doesn't work).

My guess is that it gets confused by the padding. Apply the padding on the
containing DIV instead and see if it works.

ppk