[thelist] Moving away from layout tables

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Wed May 29 17:33:08 CDT 2002

Craig,

>Same thing, except style the width of the form to 100% and the <fieldset>:
>   FIELDSET { display: inline; width: 32%; vertical-align: top; }
>(32% is used because in some quicky tests, 33% wrapped. Might have
>something to do with padding or margins. "vertical-align" is used to
>make sure all fieldsets are aligned to the top.)

I'd already tried setting 33% on one of the fieldset elements, with no
visible results. Amazingly enough, when I set it on all three, it works very
well. Thanks.

>Try setting the bottom margin and the float property:
>  <input type="radio" style="margin-bottom: 80px; float: left;">
>(replace 80px with whatever is the best margin)

Is there another way to do this? I don't want to hard-code a pixel value,
and it looks like I have to adjust the pixel amount based on the amount of
text:

too much pixelage:
* this is some text
  that should be
  indented
  * this is
the next radio button

too little pixelage:
* this is some text
  that should be
indented
* this is the next
radio button

And given screen resizing, different fonts (possibly), the fact that these
values are being drawn from a database -- I can't hard-code 'em.

> Try containing it in DIVs, and then setting the float to left:
>(the last DIV shouldn't have a float)

Marvelous! Thanks. I'd read the concepts but hadn't figured out how to
string them together.

--
Jonathan McPherson, LMIT/SD&I
Software Engineer & Web Systems Analyst