[thelist] Moving away from layout tables

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Wed May 29 20:31:01 CDT 2002

Craig Saila wrote:

>> -- Labels on Form Elements --
>>
>> I occasionally stick some text beneath a form element to help users know
>> what to put in them (a short explanation of the input mask, whatever). I
>> want to do something like this:
>

> Try containing it in DIVs, and then setting the float to left:
> (the last DIV shouldn't have a float)

Anyone want to clarify when all but the last div should be float: left
as opposed to making all of the divs display: inline?

In particular if I want to present a series of items in rows of two

1 2
3 4
5 6
etc

this seems to beg for display: inline where as when I want to put two
comparable items side-by-side it seems like folks always advocate using
a float: left on the first item.

--Steve