[thelist] Accessibility Question

Rob Smith rob.smith at thermon.com
Fri May 31 08:47:01 CDT 2002

>Quick question on etiquette for alt text.

And on that topic...

What should be the maxlength of the alt text? In lieu of that, the timing on
the alt text shows up for only about 5 seconds. Any way to alter that or iis
that a M$ thing?

Try reading this in an alt text:
Announcements - An official communication or statement, an advertisement
that is current and/or impending (i.e., blood drive, 401K meeting, employee
meeting, safety team meetings, call for monetary contributions to help
fellow employees).

that's what one of my colleagues want as an alt text. I'm considering a
different approach though. The links in this example have the title
attribute with that in it. I'm considering replacing the nav's hyperlinks
with small gifs with rollover images that read that definition. So the
definition will be available as long as the mouse is over the hyperlink.

Yet another option is just hide all the *ehem* 5 others like that in a help
button.

Yeesh

Rob