[thelist] accessibility: suggestions/recommendations for commercial site and coding standard

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 15:03:09 CDT 2002

> From: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker at swatgear.com>
[...]
> but i'm working on a commercial site right now and it currently
> doesn't use any doctype or validation or any sort of standard for that
> matter (it hasn't gone live yet.) the problem is that i've taken the
> homepage and recoded a test version that validates in HTML 4.01. now
> although it looks fine in ie6, mozilla 1, ns6 and opera 6, it looks
> like shit in ns4.x. the old version of the homepage that didn't adhere
> to any standards and used a crappy css file looks better than the "new
> and improved" experimental page.
>
> so, what would you people suggest i do? it's not really viable to go
> back and redesign the site to better fit the standards, so i need to
> either keep it the old way, or... or i don't know what.

got a URL?

seriously, if you're using HTML 4.01, then i'd expect you're still
using tables for layout...

if so (and if the tables linearize properly and aren't tons of code),
you can still have a valid, accessible page that looks good in
NN4.x...

i do have examples if you need some inspiration... but a URL might
be more useful to those of us who might read email during the
weekend (which starts in <1 hour EST -- or, at least at my office,
started a while ago)...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself