[thelist] Special chars on web pages

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Sun Jun 2 12:43:01 CDT 2002

What the authors need to do is go to the Auto-Correct dialog (Tools >
AutoCorrect) menu, choose the AutoFormat tab, and deselect "Replace as you
type. . . "Straight quotes" with ``smart quotes''" and ". . . Symbol characters
(--) with symbols (-)".  For good measure, they should probably deselect the
other options too, which include using fraction characters and superscript
ordinals. (1st and so on).  They should probably do this in both AutoFormat tabs
("AutoFormat as You Type" and "AutoFormat -- I'm not entirely sure what the
difference is).

Probably the systems on which these things show up properly are Windows systems
with Word (or at least Word fonts) installed.

jonathon
jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski      jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
  Oberlin College, Ohio \|/|\|/ Ann Arbor, Michigan

   "What we have to learn to do we learn by doing"
    -- Aristotle, Ethica Nicomachea II (c 325 BC)