[thelist] Special chars on web pages

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Jun 3 12:33:01 CDT 2002

> BTW, getting this TEXT ONLY NO FORMATTING e-mail to accept 'MS-ly' took quite
> a bit of effort. And I'm still not sure it'll send like that.

I have one word for you: Emacs.  And yes, it exists in Windows. (The official
Windows port has caught up to the main thingy, v. 21.2)

<tip type=software author="swiderski jonathon isaac">
If you like your software monolithic and all-inclusive, Emacs is surely the way
to go.  By no means small -- the tarball, even GZipped, of the source of v21.2
is over 19 MB -- Emacs includes just about everything but the kitchen sink and
the operating system (though it does have a shell mode).  Ports exist for
everything from Linux to Windows and about 40 or 50 machine types, including
DECstations and VAX.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/latest

If on the other hand, you like your software light and small, try VIM ("Vi
IMproved!").  Binaries are in the range of 700k (no, really).
http://www.vim.org/
http://www.vim.org/macs.html -- MacVIM
http://www.vim.org/binaries.html -- Other precompiled binaries

Collect 'em all!